Massage is the “hands on” treatment in which the therapist press, rub and knead the muscles, joints, tendons and ligaments to relieve tension and pain. Massage Therapy improves circulation by bringing oxygen and other nutrients to body tissues. There are times when a massage therapist may use their forearms, elbows and even feet. The techniques for massage range from light stroking to deep pressure. Please be open with your therapist about appropriate pressure, areas you prefer not to be touched, injuries or sensitivities. We are intuitive, but we do need your feedback.
Massage Therapy is beneficial for some of the following:
• Stress relief
• Managing anxiety and depression
• Blood pressure control
• Infant growth
• Sports-related injuries
• Boosting immunity
• Cancer treatment
Here are some of the different types of massage that we offer at Pekoe:
• Swedish – Swedish massage uses long, gentle kneading strokes along the body to improve circulation and relaxation.
•Hot Stone Massage– Warmed basalt stones and cool marble soothe and ease your body into a place of deep rest.
Thai – Thai massage is a blend of acupressure, reflexology and hatha yoga which provides an overall balancing of the body. It is normally performed on the floor, on yoga mats or a firm mattress allowing the massage practitioner to move the patient in yoga-like positions and applying pressure to specific points to promote the flow of energy throughout the body.
• Abhyanga – An ancient treatment using warm oils is designed to improve circulation, remove toxins, calm the nervous system and enhance immunity.
• Shirodhara – A steady stream of warm medicated oil is continuously poured onto the forehead. The oil runs over your temples, scalp and down through your hair. This is a massage of the third eye and as you lay there, you won’t want to be troubled with detail, only with the restorative sensations as you drift and dream.
• Udwartana – A specialized herbalized treatment for weight reduction, which reduces fat while retaining the texture and complexion of the skin, without causing wrinkles and sagging. Dry herbal powders are used to stimulate hair follicles and fat tissue in order to break down subcutaneous fat storage. Udwartana helps reduce blood cholesterol, obesity and skin problems whilst strengthening muscles and refreshing the body.
• Garshana – The brushing (garshana) increases circulation, alkalizes the blood, helps create negative ions, and cleans the skin so herbal oil can penetrate more deeply. Warm, herbal-oil massage (abhyanga) nourishes the skin, aids in removing impurities, stimulates both arterial and lymphatic circulation, and calms the central nervous system, promoting a blissful sensation.